Saturday, August 12, 2006

Work, lake, and a late update!

I finally found time for another update. I have been working with dad building a garage for the last couple of weeks. It has been getting up to about 106 degrees here so we try to get out on the job about at daylight and then we take off a little early so we can try to avoid some of the heat.
Anyways, about the garage we are building... It has really been a fun project and challenging at the same time. The guy we are building for wanted it built on an existing slab that was WAY out of square and level. So, we ended up having to cut all the studs different heights where the slab went up and down so that we could get a level top plate. That fixed our level problem, but we had to deal with the square problem too. We just made it all as square as possible and know there is 4 or 5 inches of the slab sticking out on one corner and on the other the wall is just barely hanging over.... it was interesting, but know that we are nearly done we are all saying what a shame it is to have such a nice garage on such a crummy foundation, however, it looks good.

Writing this brings to mind the scriptures in Matthew about the foundations. We, as Christians, need to make sure we don't have a foundation that when we put weight on it, it well just crumble away, but we need Christ, our solid rock to be our foundation.

Here are some pictures. These were taken earlier last week, so we have made some progress, but I will post some more when we finish. Monday morning we start roofing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Last weekend we went to lake Tenkiller, which I nick name Tyson Lake. Ask if you have questions. It might gross you out to know though. :-) There we rented some jet skies and had a lot of fun until some of us started feeling a little sea sick, but that just gave the rest of us a little more time before we had to return them. Caleb and a friend, John R, went scuba diving and I guess I can't tell you much about that, because they wouldn't bring me along. :-*) I did go snorkeling though, I saw a pretty little catfish and another time while we were swimming a copper head snake came cruising by, but he left in a hurry when I got to close with my canoe paddle.

On Sunday morning before we left we all went and piled in the canoe to see how far out we could get. The first time we didn't have Anna along and we got a long ways out, but after we went back to pick Anna up this is about how it went...

We all successfully got in, except my dog. I made him go back to shore.

Then we tried to go somewhere...

And then it tipped over...

Sunk.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Anna Jet skiing.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hannah and I.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And, I and Hannah.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I saw a squirrel stick his head out of the hole of this tree and I was trying to get him out, but he never came. I think maybe he has an escape hatch somewhere.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
John R. And Caleb headed out and down.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Just havin' a good time.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One of my dog's first swims. He got pretty good at it!

It is about time I better go, There is a concert scheduled tonight at the stage next door. It is actually talent night tonight, meaning just about anybody who wants to can get up on the stage and share their talent.

You all have a good week. God bless,

John

4 Comments:

At 9:06 PM, Blogger Gabe and Mandy said...

Hey Johnny,

First to comment. ;-)

I heard a little about your trip to the lake from Sarah. Sounded like fun.

Hope you have a blast on the rafting trip and take a lot of pictures for us! We'll miss you guys!

 
At 9:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was your concert/talent night?
Did you have a good turn out?

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger John said...

Hi mrs.d,

I haven't heard from you in a while!

The concert went great! We had a fair turn out. Thanks for asking

 
At 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post!
Your trip to the lake looks fun! The water looks very inviting!!!!
You all did really well the other night at the talent show! And it was great to see you guys again since it sees like it had been a long time!!!
GTG!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home