Friday, February 02, 2007

Another Colorado Trip

Once again we were in Colorado. A couple days after we got up there Jeremy and Caleb went skiing and I went boarding.
The whole day was awesome; I had a lot of sweet falls trying to get a hang of boarding again, 'cause it was only my 3rd
time to go. At the end of the day I was jumping tables -hitting them straight on. And then I was challenged to try it on my heel edge so I was facing the table which is a lot harder. I hit the table and slipped all the way down until
I got to the end; then my board slipped right out from under me, and I hit my tail bone right on the corner edge of the
table.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is my wreck.

At first I was fine and I hit another jump. And then I took my last run of the day. About half way down I
seriously didn't think I was gonna make it the rest of the way, but I did. I hurt pretty bad for a few days and then
by that next Wednesday I was feeling good enough to go boarding again. That day was a great day, but I didn't try that jump the same way. I was too scared.

I went again Thursday, and that was the best day until the end... But I actually did the table on my heel edge without wrecking and I did rails, or small ones anyways. But on my last run I hit a patch of ice, which when I slipped I went down hard. Right on my tail bone too. Ouch.... It still hurts! So that was my last day to board this year. I was going to go Friday, but I couldn't because of my re-injured injury.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is a bunch of us watching Pat Hectic after skiing.

Jeremy and I left last Sunday to go on our first overnight winter backpacking/snowshoeing trip. We got on the trail
at about 10 am and hiked for probably 2-3 miles. The snow was packed from snow mobiles that had already been up
there. Once we had finished this part of the trip we had to take a trail off the main road up to the cabin where we were
hiking to, which was probably another two miles back. No one had been on this trail yet and if you tried walking on it
without snowshoes you would sink up to your waste or more. So we put our snowshoes on and snow shoed the rest of
the way. The cabin that we were hiking to was just above tree line so at about 3 o'clock we stopped just below tree
line to set our tent up. We took our packs off and took turns with the shovel digging out a level spot for the
tent. We had to dig out almost 4 feet of snow on one end. We got the tent set up and got inside just in time for
the sun to go behind the mountain. I had bought a thermometer at Wal-Mart, because I wanted to know how cold it got.
It was 24 degrees before the sun went behind the mountain and about 1 hour later it was 12 deg. So at four o'clock we
cooked our first course for dinner which, for me, was chili with mac; and Jeremy had beef stew. At 6 we cooked up our
second course of mashed potatoes, because there wasn't much else to do. At about 7 we decided we may as well go to
bed because we didn't know what else to do. That idea was chunked when we figured out, even if we slept ten hours,
that would put us up at 5. Then what would we do? We both had 2 bars of cell reception that went on and off,
so we called and texted friends telling them what we were doing and how crazy we were. At 7 it was about 7 degrees
outside and that is the last temperature I got, because the digital thermometer froze up and quit working. But I would
guess it got anywhere from 0 to -10 degrees. At about 10 we finally went to sleep, neither one of us slept very well.
We were both warm, but very uncomfortable. When we went to bed the snow/ice under our tent was really soft and it wouldn't pack, so, once we got our tent set up the snow froze solid leaving every hump un-movable. It was interesting sleepingon on those huge, hard bumps. Anyways, I'm gonna try not to bore you with all this, so, we woke up for the last time around 7 in the morning and drank some hot chocolate to warm up a little more. Then we fixed freeze dried chicken
breasts and mashed potatoes.

At night we had to put our bottles of water in our sleeping bags with us or else they would freeze almost solid.

After breakfast we decided to get our snowshoes on and go up to the cabin without our packs. We got out of our bags
and grabbed our boots to find out they are frozen solid. I squeezed my freezing cold boots on and then started moving
around trying to get warm, but it took a while. It was actually about an hour later before they completely thawed out.
Anyhow, we went up to the cabin and then came back to clean up camp. The trip down was pretty un-eventful except we did
it about 4 times faster then we went up.

Well, there you go, for anybody who really wanted to hear all that.

So, what was the worst part of trip? It was when one foot would hit a soft spot in the snow and sink down about
two feet and my other one would slid right ahead of me and with a 50+ pound pack on my back and a injured tail bone
those situations were a little painful to get out of.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is what I brought with my on our hike.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This how deep some of the snow was that we hiked through before we put our snow shoes on.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was Jeremy's dinner. :-(

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Our camp from the outside.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Warming up water for hot chocolate.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Chicken breasts and potatoes are what we had for breakfast.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the cabin we were hiking to. You can see where the snow comes up to at the door.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is before we left.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This one was taken before we left too!

Last Friday night we went to the Muncys to play volleyball.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Playing VB
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Tearing up the food before we ate it. LOL It was delicious!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And this is just a lonesome pic of me shoveling snow out of our driveway when we first arrived in Georgetown.

11 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, Blogger John said...

I know the pictures aren't working. I'm gonna fix that as soon as I get time, but for now I have to go.

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger A daughter of His said...

You guys do crazy things for fun. It's nice to see that you boys are still adventuress! You must play volleyball at least once a month. Molly.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor tail bone! That's no fun at all! A lot of what you told about sounds miserable, yet still adventurous and fun to tell about later!
Was the hot chocolate sugar free? :)>
Glad ya'll got home safely!!!

 
At 11:51 AM, Blogger John said...

Yeah, it was sugar free, I mean, I didn't have to pay for it! lol. Oh, if you only knew, you would be so disappointed in me.

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shame on you!!! I have heard a few stories on you (and others) and I was disappointed! You're the one who encouraged me the most to go without sugar for a year!!! So . . . why haven't you wanted to stick with it? You don’t seem like the type to give up on something!

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger John said...

Oh, I'm sorry! I was just kinda gettin' burnt out on it!

 
At 6:39 PM, Blogger Carolj said...

OH, that just looks so cold. Brr. I'm catching whatever the D's have, I'm thinking 40 is cold now. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Glad you made it back safely!

 
At 9:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you've quit entirely!?!

 
At 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've only got 11 more days to go!!!

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, have you now officially quit? It doesn't seem like it could have been a whole year! Did you do anything special on the 1-year anniversary, like get sick from too much sugar? Well, I guess you wouldn't get sick from sugar 'cause you've already warmed yourself up to it so that it wouldn't be such a shock to your system! :)> JK! Four more minutes and I'll be 11 days away from my 1-year ann.!

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger John said...

Kate, I am so proud of you, you are doing so good, but for some reason I just don't envy you and I don't regret what I did!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home